Questions You Should Ask When Booking a Wedding Venue
This blog post is archived. It was posted in 2017.
The information in archived posts may be out of date. We archive all posts older than three years.
Picking a venue is one of the most important decisions you will make when planning your wedding day. It is the place where your vision comes to life, so you want to make sure that this vision is actually possible at your venue. Be thorough when talking with your venue representative about pricing and policies so you don't end up tackling roadblocks later on in the planning process. I've put together an extensive list of questions to consider before signing a final contract. Don't let the long list intimidate you! Simply use them as a guide as you begin navigating through your venue hunt.
- Does the venue have multiple ceremony sites?
- What is the maximum amount of guests the venue allows?
- What is the parking situation for guests?
- Will other weddings also be booked on my wedding day at this venue? If so, how many? Is the venue available for exclusive use?
- How long will we be able to use the venue? How much do additional hours cost?
- Do I need to have insurance or permits? Does the venue have liability insurance?
- What is the cancellation policy?
- What is the earliest time vendors may arrive to set up?
- Does the current decor fit my style and wedding colors? If not, am I allowed to bring in my own decorations?
- How many and what types of tables and chairs are available? Are things like linens, plates, and silverware provided or will this need to be accomodated through the caterer?
- How many restrooms are available?
- Are separate rooms available for the bridal party to get ready in?
- Is a day-of venue coordinator available? If so, what services and additional fees are included?
- Are there regulations for the photographer, such as no flash?
- Am I allowed to choose my own vendors or must I use the venue's vendors?
- Does the venue allow alcohol and/or open flames? Does the venue have a liquor license?
- Is there a corkage fee for bringing my own wine?
- Is the venue able to accommodate a live band or DJ?
- Does the venue have an adequate sound system, or will sound equipment need to be rented?
- Are there any noise regulations we should be aware of?
- Are there areas of the venue guests will not have access to?
- Is there a certain time that all of the guests have to leave the facility by?
- Are there any regulations for send-offs, such as sparklers?