Babies grow and change so quickly! That’s why newborn photos are so important. We take a lifestyle approach to newborn photos. Our newborn shoots are about the connection between baby, mommy, and daddy. We strive to capture natural, authentic moments of all of you enjoying your family time that convey a deep sense of love and emotion. We will capture real, intimate moments that document who you are as a family in these beginning stages.
The best way to reach out is through email. In that email, share with us what package you are most interested in and your overall vision for the shoot.
Scheduling your newborn shoot to take place within the first two weeks of birth is always ideal. I suggest setting a tentative date a couple months before your due date. If the baby arrives earlier or later than expected, we can always adjust the date as necessary.
Once we get your session booked, I will send you a new client form to fill out. On that form you will have the opportunity to tell us about yourself, share your vision for the shoot, and any other information you’d like to share. It also allows you to link a pinterest board with photos that inspire you. It is important to take some time filling this out because it really helps us tailor the shoot to your unique needs.
When booking a bundle package, payment is due in full at the time of booking. We will send you an invoice that can be paid online.
For all other packages, payment is due the day of the shoot. The morning of your session we will send you an invoice that can be paid online. You can also bring cash or a check payable to J&D Photo with you to your session.
- Wear something you feel comfortable + confident in.
- Don’t match - Complement. By that I mean, wear colors that go well together but aren’t necessarily the same. EX: Blues, grays, and creams always look great together.
- Avoid heavy patterns. Solid colors tend to photograph best. If one of you will be wearing a pattern, make sure the other wears a solid.
- Keep it simple. The baby should be the star of the show.
- Stay away from neon hues. Solid white shirts tend to look blown out in photos. Neon colors reflect unpleasant hues on faces.
- Baby feet are the cutest, so choose a onesie that will allow us to photograph them.
- Hats + bows + headbands are always great additions.
- A swaddle always looks adorable in photos.
- A simple white onesie is timeless.
Plan your outfits ahead of time, so the day of your session you don’t even have to think about what to wear.
Clean up clutter you don’t want in the background of images. The rooms we typically photograph in most are the nursery, living room, and parent’s bedroom depending on which rooms get the best light.
Have a boppy + large neutral toned blanket on hand. These are super helpful for taking solo photos of the baby.
Feed the baby as close to our arrival as possible.
Keep the house warm.
Have extra swaddles on hand.
- If an older sibling is involved, give them a run down of what is going to happen before the session so they know what to expect.
- Promising a treat at the end for good behavior always helps!
- Choose a book for all of you to read as a family during the shoot.
We will capture a mix of posed + candid photos highlighting the love and connection of your family. We typically take photos of the entire family together, solo shots of the baby, and individual photos of each parent with the baby. We will also take a few detail shots of the nursery setup.
We will direct you and give you plenty of pose guidance throughout the entire shoot. At-home newborn shoots typically last between 45 minutes - 1 hour depending on how the baby does.
Standard turnaround time on our family shoots is 3 weeks, but if you need them faster than that you can pay a rush fee and receive them as quickly as 24 hours after your shoot. Images from your session will be color corrected and lightly retouched. The goal is to make your photos look flawless but still keep it natural and virtually undetectable.
You will receive your images in both color and black + white.
You will receive your images via an online gallery. You will be able to easily view and download both the high-resolution and the web-sized version of the photos. You are also welcome to share the link with friends and family.
You will receive personal printing rights to the photos, so you are welcome to get these printed on your own. When we deliver your gallery, I will include a link to two places we recommend having your photos printed.